In this class, which forms part of the post-production process for the Clinique style advertising image, Karl explains his thought process for the splash element of the image and demonstrates how he combines it with his group shot.
One of the challenges Karl has to overcome in this part of the retouching process is achieving the right tone and colour of the water splash. Shot against a white background, the original water splash is quite low contrast so Karl uses a combination of highlight recovery, levels adjustments and hue/saturation adjustments. You’ll see each stage as he reveals the water splash, increases the tonal definition and adds a sense of freshness by adjusting the saturation levels.
In this class:
- Combining a splash shot with a product image
- How to combine splash shot with product group shot
- How to use masks to reveal parts of the splash shot
- How to use levels to increase contrast in water
- How to use saturation adjustments to correct colour and add freshness
To see how this image was shot, watch the Clinique Style Advertising Shoot classes.
Questions? Please post them in the comments section below.