This photography class covers the fundamentals of masks and will help you understand and become confident using them. Karl talks you through how, when and why you should be using masks, burning and dodging when retouching images – arguably the two most fundamental and important parts of a photographers workflow in Photoshop.
Working on a wedding image, Karl demonstrates exactly how to use masks, explains why they’re useful and how they can speed up your workflow.
Working with multiple layers, he demonstrates how to use the Transform tool, Move tool, Burn and Dodge tools and various Brush tools. He also shows you useful alternatives to the Burn and Dodge tools, which he uses in upcoming classes in this course.
Download the work-along files:
- Gradient Sphere
- Wedding Image
- Cat Image
- Burn & Dodge Photoshop Action (Drag and drop the .atn file from your Downloads into your PS home screen. Then select Window > Actions. Select your desired action in the the VF Super Actions folder. Click ‘Play’ to run the action.)
In this class:
- Photoshop techniques for photographers
- Useful Photoshop tools
- How to use masks in Photoshop
- How to use the Burn and Dodge tools in Photoshop
- Bit Depth
- Working with Photoshop layers
- Highlights, shadows and midtones: How to create three-dimensionality in an image
If you’re unfamiliar with some of the tools mentioned in this course, watch our Photoshop Interface and Tools class.
Questions? Please post them in the comments section below.