Working to a Brief 11: Cosmetic Swatches
The deadline for this brief is Sunday 1st January 2023.
Produce an appealing image of cosmetic swatches and swirls on a white background, suitable for high-end editorial use.
© Karl Taylor
You will need a range of cosmetic products comprising various different textures and colours.Be sure to include:
- powder (e.g. eye shadow, blush, bronzer, etc.)
- paste (e.g. lipstick)
- liquid (e.g. nail varnish)
There are no strict guidelines regarding layout or composition, so you are free to use your creativity to achieve your desired layout.
You may refer to our Pinterest board for guidance and inspiration.
The mood of the images should be bright, clean, colourful and luxurious.
The mood images below provide some good examples from which you can take inspiration. You may also refer to our Pinterest board.
For the glossy cosmetic surfaces, your lighting should create a high-gloss effect.
For the dry, powdery materials, your lighting should accentuate their rough textures.
Overall, you should achieve a high-contrast, punchy lighting effect that makes the image vivid and eye-catching.
- Cosmetic swatches and swirls in different colours
- Combination of liquids, pastes and powders
- White background
- No strict guidelines on layout or composition
- High-contrast, punchy lighting accentuating different textures (glossy, dry, etc.)
- Refer to our Pinterest board for inspiration
This brief is for example purposes only. This is not a professional commercial brief and all requirements are purely for educational purposes.
Please note all images will remain copyright to the original photographer, but Visual Education reserves the right to publish them within its website and on social media.