Learn the techniques pro filmmakers use to produce their best work.
Only $4.99 for first month
Ready to master filmmaking and videography? This section contains everything you need to achieve high-quality results, from essential terminology and equipment to tried-and-tested techniques.
Cameras, lenses, stabilisation, lighting, frame rates, colour temperature – all of this and more is included in this comprehensive introduction to filmmaking.
We’ll look at real estate videos, digital billboards, short film and documentary production, TV commercials, influencer-style content, brand and company videos – we’ll even work with drones!
Excited to call ‘Action!’ on your filmmaking journey? Press play and let’s get started.
Introduction to Filmmaking
Introduction to FilmmakingEverything you need to get started
- 9 Classes
- 3+ Hours
- Level: All Levels
In this 9-class course, Karl and the team introduce you to all the essential terminology, concepts and equipment in the world of filmmaking and videography.
- Codecs, formats and resolutions
- Cameras, lenses and lights
- Frame rates, shutter speeds and slow motion
- Colour temperature, sound and stabilisation
- And more...
Filmmaking MethodsStart capturing video like a pro
Explore different methods and styles of filmmaking as you put your learning into practice.
- Real estate filmmaking
- Aerial and drone filmmaking
- Corporate interviews
- Brand stings
- Social media and influencer videos
- Digital billboards
Follow Karl and the team as they join top filmmaker Barry Makariou on the set of an exciting promotional film shoot. As Barry captures incredible slo-mo footage using cutting-edge techniques and equipment, you’ll discover the tools, strategies, and collaborations involved in producing top-level videography.
- Creating high-end promotional videos
- Working to a client brief
- Working with technical collaborators and talent
- Lighting for advanced filmmaking
- Super slo-mo and motion control
- Freepour Promo Film Shoot (Part 1)
- Directing the Freepour Promo: Barry Makariou Interview
- Interview with Motion Control Director: Rammy Anwar
- Motion Control Robot
- Freepour Promo Film Shoot (Part 2)
- Interview With Client: Sean Ware
- Lenses for Advanced Filmmaking
- Freepour Promo Film Shoot (Part 3)
- Interview With Gaffer: Madison Blackwood
- Lighting for Advanced Filmmaking
- Interview With Talent and Drinks Stylist
- How to Get Work as a Filmmaker With Barry Makariou
- Understanding and Working to a Client Brief With Barry Makariou
- Pitching a Treatment With Barry Makariou
- Advanced Filmmaking Projects: Behind the Scenes
- Making the Manfrotto Air-55 Commercial
Video Editing and Post-ProductionComing soon in 2023
Recording footage and sound is only part of the filmmaking process. Once you've captured your footage and audio, it's time to begin the post-production process.
In these classes, you'll cover every aspect of that process, mastering the skills you need to ensure your videos and films look, sound and feel fantastic.
- Video editing
- Colour grading and effects
- Graphics, titles and animation
- Computers, drives and hardware
- And more...
These classes are currently in production and scheduled for release in 2023.
Documentaries and Short FilmsComing soon
Karl is currently deep into a documentary film project about his other great passion: wreck-diving.
Once this exciting project is complete, it will form the basis of a series of classes about documentary filmmaking. These will appear alongside classes related to short-film production, including:
- The making of The Guernsey Scallop Diver
These classes are currently in production.
Professional FilmmakersAdvice and insight from top professionals
These top-flight professionals are all photographers who have embraced and harnessed the power of video. By adding filmmaking to their creative arsenal, these visual artists have broadened the services they offer and made themselves more competitive – and successful.
Check out their stories and learn from their experiences.
- Conversations with Jonathan Knowles: Shooting Video as a Stills Photographer
- Conversations With David Lund: The Path to Becoming a Pro
- Conversations With Barry Makariou: Photography Book Review
- Interview With Product Photographer Jonathan Knowles
- Interview With Product and Liquid Photographer David Lund
To help you make the most of our classes, we’ve made it easy to get in touch. Whether you have general photography questions or queries relating to specific classes, our knowledgeable team is here to help you achieve your goals.
Only $4.99 for first month